What is trauma?
Trauma is the emotional response when an injury overwhelms us. The injury could be physical, sexual or emotional. Some of the most common traumatic events include:
- Physical assault
- Sexual assault, including childhood sexual abuse
- Verbal assault
- Being threatened with physical or sexual assault
- Witnessing violence against others
- Long-term neglect in childhood
HOW TRAUMA INFORMED CARE HELPS YOU AS A SURVIVOR?
Trauma-Informed Care is a practice which works off of your strengths. Our staff understands the effect trauma has on a person and how it affects you physically, mentally and emotionally. At Hope & Healing, we create a space for survivors to gain confidence and a sense of control by empowering you to overcome obstacle while making your own decisions along your journey.
How can trauma affect the way you feel?
Everyone reacts differently to trauma. You may experience some or all of the following:
- Too much emotion
- Feeling numb
- Feeling hopeless, helpless, worthless
- Anxiety, panic attacks
- Stomach aches, pelvic pain, stomach/ digestive problems)